For the past 5 years, I’ve governed over a community of netizens at a place called MacJams. I’d like to share the findings of some interesting social dynamics experiments conducted over those five years; some successful, some utter failures.
Musings to include:
• The effects of positive and negative comments.
• Formation of sub-communities
• Dealing with social and cultural differences
• Critical Mass and Statistics
• Feedback loops and Consensus
• Liberty and Adhoc development
• Extensions into real-life
Born in Denmark, raised in Minnesota. Loved Legos and computers from an early age. Studied Mechanical Engineering. Attempted a start-up in 2000, but lost out to “the bubble”. Took a few years to practice carpentry and compete in duathlon/triathlon. Opened and managed a triathlon equipment store for a few years. Started a web community known as MacJams.com. Explored the United States by foot, car, bike, train, plane, bus, kayak, subway. Arrived in Portland in September 2008 to further interests in applying technology to permaculture and sustainable communities. Currently working as a contract PHP programmer in SE Portland.