The Recession hit shortly after I moved to Portland and started looking for a job. Bang! Since then I have learned several strategies to keep my spirits up while searching for a job. I intend to go over the points listed below while sharing some personal stories that will keep the tone light and funny. This talk will give advice to both those who are unemployed and those who are part of the support network for a person who is unemployed.
1. Get rid of shame or a sense failure. We are in the middle of a Recession. Unemployment during this time says nothing about you or your abilities.
2. Get out of the house and start a routine.
3. How to define who you are without a job.
4. Think outside of the box.
5. Surround yourself with support and keep hope alive.
I am an educator who has worked in non-profits and schools. I have taught English, social studies, primary prevention, leadership skills, etc. to groups of youth and adults from five to five hundred. I recently moved to Portland and started looking for a job. I have always had a job, and this is a different experience for me. I have tips and funny stories to share.